Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Believe A Mom's Work Is Never Done


Throughout your life have you ever stopped and watched your mom?  Have you ever notice that she seems like she is the energizer bunny that keeps on going and going?  Since I have become a mom, I believe that a mother’s work is never done.  I stop and think of my mom and how she was able to manage five children and a husband.  I sometimes wonder how my mom was able to get everything together and still have time for her. 

            I think back as far as I can to see if I can catch a glimpse of how she did it.  Being a kid, we all just paid attention to what was going on with ourselves or our siblings (if you were not the oldest).  I know that I appreciated my mom for being there when I was down or being picked on by my brothers.  I know that I would always tell my mom that I loved her but did I really take the time to tell her thank you for being my mom.  I believe we take our moms for granted.  Moms are loving, caring, a comfort and someone to pick us up when we are down.  Moms don’t ask for anything in return.  They love us for who we are.  I know through my younger years, my mom was always there for me at school.  Since there was five of us, mom would be a room mother every year for one of us kids.  Back when I was a child, a room mother, was several moms getting together and planning the holiday parties for the classroom, not the teacher.  They would make the cupcakes, popcorn balls or cookies, and the items were all homemade not store bought.  She would start with the oldest, and then the next year would be the next sibling in line.  I can remember the smile on her face when it was my turn; she would come in to celebrate the parties with us and my classmates.  It made me feel so good to see her walk through that door with the goodies and a smile on her face.

            As we all got older, even though we should have stepped in and help around the house without being told, we took advantage of our mom.  I know I felt like, why should I do chores when my siblings are not.  When I was little, my mom made it fun but at that time there was only three of us.  It seemed harder when the other two siblings came along.   Even as we got older, mom always would put us kids and my dad before herself.  I could never understand why.  Why would she put us before herself?  We would have our ups and downs but mom would always end it with a hug and say “I love you and I will always be here for you”.  As the time goes by I still did not notice that a mom’s work is never.  My mom would always sit down and make a list of the day to come.  I had asked her why she was making a list.  This is when I heard it for the first time, which a mom’s work is never done.  She would make a list to help her remember things that needed to be done that day before tomorrow came.  She would have on her list the time she needs to get up to start her day, places where she needed to go for us kids or for items that she needed for the house.  What kind of snacks she was going to have for us kids when we got home for school and what she was going to make for supper.  I really never had seen my mom sit down for a long period of time.  She was always on the go.  She was also the last person to go to bed. 

It finally hit me that mom’s work is never done when I had children of my own.  From the time they arrive into this world, you are always doing something for them.  It would be when they wake up in the middle of the night to be fed when they were infants to waking up to comfort them from the storm that is outside or the nightmare they just had.  I do believe a mom’s work is never done; you are usually the first one up to make sure that the children are awake to make it to school.  While you are getting ready to start your day, you are asking if they have lunch money, are you eating breakfast here or at school, do you have anything after school.  Then if they are in some kind of activity at school, church or an organization, you need to put that in your calendar and make sure you don’t forget about it.  When your work day is done, you come home and then you start planning what you are doing to do for supper.  You ask your children if they have homework and are they working on it.  You try to get them to do some chores around the house and sometimes that is a lost cause but then you think back was I like that to my mom?  You take care of supper and if there are no activities going on at school or other places, you get up and clean up the kitchen.  Then you realize, “Oh, I have laundry to do” so you start working on that.  The day is ending quickly and you still have a lot of things that you need to complete for you go to bed.  You wondered is a mom’s work ever done.  You know that no matter how your day is going, you always make sure that your husband and children are taken care of first before yourself.  It comforts me know that I have done all I can do for that day when I finish out the day when I say goodnight to my children and tell them that I love them.  Because I know even though my work is never done, I know that my family loves me for doing the best that I can for them.  It might not always turn out perfect but I know that I have tried to do what I have always seen my mom do.  Now that my children are growing up and I now have become a first time grandma, I get to see my daughter become a mom that her work is never done.

Moms are always the last impression that is left upon you but sometimes you don’t get the chance to say thank you for being my mom before they are gone forever.  So I truly believe a mom’s work is never done because when they are gone you still have their memories of how they were able to accomplish the day with a smile on their face and the words they say, “I love you”.

No comments: